- How To Feed A Critter
- Critter's Favourite Foods
- How To Recruit A Critter As A Companion
- How To Equip And Switch Companions
Disney Dreamlight Valley plays host to a wide variety of critters, many of which can be fed, pet, and even recruited to accompany you on your travels. Interacting with such critters can also earn you more Dreamlight, which can be used to unlock biomes, castle realms and items in Scrooge's shop.
RELATED: Disney Dreamlight Valley: Best Recipes, Ranked By How Tasty They Look
Once you've fed a critter you will begin the process of enabling it to be selectable as a companion, alongside Pua who comes from a quest, and several other companions from events. While companions provide no tangible benefits, they will follow you around and look adorable.
Updated January 16, 2023, By Helen Ashcroft: With the increasing new additions to Dreamlight Valley in this early access period, we've taken the time to update this guide to ensure you know how to feed each critter, what they'll eat, and what it takes to keep them as a companion.
THEGAMER VIDEO OF THE DAY
How To Feed A Critter
When you see a critter, it will respond in one of four ways and how it acts will depend on when you can feed it. Here's what to look for and how to respond:
- Red/Green Light – Critters with this behaviour will have a 'danger' position and a 'safe' position. You need to approach them slowly when it is safe.
- For Crocodiles approach when their heads are down, stop when they are up. Feed them once they are led down.
- For Raccoons approach when they sit down, stop when they are standing. Feed them once they visibly relax.
- Chase – These critters like you to chase them once you've spotted them. Run after them until they stop again.
- Foxes and Rabbits both like to play tag.
- Wait – These critter types will scope you out before they'll let you feed them.
- Ravens will circle your head. Allow them to finish flying around.
- Sea Turtles will stay in their shells. Sit close by and wait for them to appear.
- No Games – Some critters have no time for games and will allow you to simply approach and feed them straight away.
- Squirrels will expect food immediately so be ready!
- All five types of Sunbird will also take food from you on sight.
To feed a critter simply approach one slowly (after following the responses above) and interact with it by pressing A on Xbox or Switch, X on PlayStation, or E/Left Click on PC.
By interacting with an animal, you will have the option to feed it one of the items in your Inventory. Every animal variant has its own favourite type of food, though you do not need to know it in order to recruit it to your Companions.
All animals can be fed any available food, but there are benefits to choosing their favourites.
If you spot a Purple Friendship Star when handing over a food item, then you can rest assured that you've discovered the correct item. By successfully handing over their favorite foods, you will complete additional Dreamlight Duties, which will, in turn, net you more Dreamlight to spend around the Valley.
Critter's Favourite Foods
All critter types have favourite foods and liked foods. These don't change between colour variants, except in the case of Sunbirds. Here's what to look for:
- White Sturgeon
- 3 or 4-Star Meals
- 5-Star Meals
- Green Flowers
- Green Passion Lily
- Yellow Flowers
- Orange Flowers
- Orange Houseleek
- Red Flowers
- Red Bromeliad
- Pink Flowers
- Pink Houseleek
How To Recruit A Critter As A Companion
If you'd like to recruit a critter to keep you company while carrying out your Dreamlight Duties, then you will need to feed it two to three times. As you can only feed each type of animal once per day, you will need to revisit your chosen friend a second time after a period of 24 real life hours has passed. If you try and feed the same type of animal a second time in the same day, the food will simply vanish.
You must feed each critter again to increase your friendship until you can add it as a companion. Critters also have a chance to drop items if fed their favourite foods.
To see if a critter has become a companion yet go to Main Menu > Collection > Critters. All the critters in game are shown here and as you recruit them they will be highlighted on this menu.
You can also click any companion in this menu to find out which biome it is located in, as well as if it is around on the current day. Remember that your game will always sync with your device clock.
How To Equip And Switch Companions
To access the companion menu go to Inventory > Wardrobe > Companions. Here you will see any companions you have from quests or events, alongside any recruited critters. All you need to do to recruit them is simply select them by clicking the picture. Now you can exit the menu and your new companion will follow you around.
To switch, go back to the same menu and select a different option or click the companion again to deselect it. Your companion will stay with you all throughout Dreamlight Valley, until they are dismissed. If you enter the main castle your companion will vanish until you return to the valley. Companions are not summonable in other realms.